Munich comes to Edinburgh
MBM were delighted to support a technology trade delegation from Bavaria when it arrived in Edinburgh, along with the first signs of Spring. Scottish Minister Wheelhouse and a Scottish trade delegation had been invited to Munich last October by the Bavarian Government - unfortunately just after Oktoberfest had ended! Michael Arnott, head of MBM's London office and fluent German speaker, joined the Scottish delegation in October and was delighted to welcome them back to Edinburgh for the return match.
MBM hosted a networking event and series of short talks for the technology start-ups who had come over with the Bavarian delegation. MBM are attracting an increasing amount of interest from German companies who are considering a migration to the United Kingdom or are setting up a presence here. Representatives from the Bavarian government were also present at the talk. There was an interesting and diverse range of companies, details of which appear below along with a short description of what these companies are looking for from the Scottish and UK start-up community. Should you wish to be introduced to any of these companies please let Michael Arnott know:
- Global Savings Group GmbH combines leading savings platforms from around the world that offer users opportunities to save on shopping in a wide range of sectors. With around 100 employees it operates more than 40 web and mobile platforms that are active in 24 countries on five continents. Looking for: an increase in business between Bavaria and Scotland and for partners to further develop its UK business.
- pixx.io GmbH has developed a professional image and media management software solution. It is designed to help small and midsize companies collect, share, and manage photos, graphics, videos and other digital media with customers. Looking for: business partners in Scotland/the UK.
- Cosinuss GmbH is a technology company building body sensors, algorithms, and data for wearables products. These include an In-Ear Wearable that monitors the heart rate and body temperature. Currently working on an EU-funded AI research project with a Scottish company. Looking for: business partners as well as project partners for the Eurostar research programme.
- Li.plus GmbH is a Munich University spinout which develops and distributes innovative test procedures for battery systems. Li.plus is already working with automotive OEMs and Tier 1 and 2 suppliers. Looking for: an understanding of the storage market in Scotland and in meeting Scottish start-ups in the energy sector.
- Medineering GmbH develops intelligent mechatronic assistant systems for minimally invasive head surgery. The portfolio consists of an intelligent holding arm and small application-specific robotic hands assisting surgeons in anatomically complex working spaces. Looking for: understanding the UK healthcare system potential for their product and to meet companies and other contacts from the sector.
- Physiovia GmbH offers a web-based physiotherapy service for patients. The Physiovia programme is being used in German inpatient wards in hospitals, rehabilitation facilities and in private practice. Training programmes are individually developed to ensure effective therapy. Looking for: understanding the healthcare system in Scotland to explore opportunities.
- Zollhof Betreiber GmbH is the operator of a newly-established incubator in Nuremberg focused on smart engineering. The “Zollhof” is working with industrial partners e.g. Siemens, Adidas and will provide office space and start-up support services in prototype construction, market access etc. Looking for: cooperation with Scottish incubators and companies.
- BayStartUp GmbH is the Bavarian agency for company formation, financing and acceleration supported by the Bavarian Ministry of Economics, universities and private sector sponsors. More than 1600 companies have emerged from the annual business plan competition over the last 11 years. These companies now employ more than 11,000 employees and have combined revenues of around €1bn. Looking for: relationships in the Scottish start-up scene.
Bavaria is growing and will be an increasingly significant presence in Europe. Taken on its own, Bavaria’s economic output is greater than 19 of the 27 Member States in Europe. Like Edinburgh and London, Munich has a vibrant and supportive start-up community and we look forward to future collaborations.
Head of London Office
Tel: 0203 096 0112