A number of recent surveys have shown that an alarmingly high percentage of UK SMEs are not aware of and cannot identify the intellectual property (IP) or intellectual assets (IA) that they have within their business, or which of those assets they own. It is becoming increasingly important for companies to record, understand and take full advantage of the extent, quality and use of their IA, as well as ensuring that they have clear processes and procedures in place to do so. Potential investors, purchasers and licensees require reliable information relating to ownership, scope and status of IA within a business. Given that IA can in some circumstances equate to as much as 90% of a company’s market value, it is vitally important that it is properly managed.
Whilst some IP issues will certainly require a lawyer, patent or trademark attorney, a basic IA audit undertaken by our consultant can help to identify problematic areas relating to IA within a business. This can then form a basis on which our consultants can recommend action which can be taken by the business to resolve any issues identified. Furthermore, many problems occurred by businesses can be avoided by simply educating staff about IP and, if required, ensuring that policies are in place and are followed.
MBM Comercial offer a range of services relating to IP, including and beyond contractual issues.
Our IP consultants can:
• provide general advice relating to the IA of a business;
• undertake initial IA audits to identify IA owned by, licensed in by and otherwise used by the business, including rights of employees, consultants or other third parties, enabling the business to identify any gaps in protection or exploitation/commercialisation potential of IA. The consultants can consequently advise whether further legal or other professional advice should be sought;
• create IA portfolios which can be used to help shape future business strategy, to attract potential investors or purchasers;
• provide guidance on the effective use of IA, including licensing potential;
• educate staff and help to create internal IP policies;
• provide general IP management guidance;
• work closely with our legal team to ensure that all relevant legal documentation is in place.
For further information, please contact Hannah Alphey on 0131 226 8200.