MBM’s corporate team has been very busy on a number of corporate transactions over the past six months. We have seen no signs of ‘Brexit’ as a show stopper and good companies continue to secure investment and attract acquirers, often from oversees. We can’t list all of the deals we have been involved with but we hope the deals which we have set out below help highlight what we have been up to and give you a flavour for some of the work that we regularly advise on. If you would like help on a deal or would like to discuss how you might structure one for you, then please feel free to get in touch.
We have represented a number of UK wide organisations on their acquisition plans and these include:
- Greater London Enterprise on its acquisition of Kingston Smith Consulting;
- Agathos on its acquisition of Turners Fine Foods;
- IHCT on its acquisition of Highland Bay Seafoods; and
- the acquisition of a UK investment company on behalf of a Hong Kong investor.
A number of disposals we have advised on include:
- the sale of SIAS to French acquirer, Systra;
- the sale of IGF Invoice Finance to Spring Ventures;
- the sale of Dawnfresh Seafoods’ scampi processing business to Whitby; and
- the sale of Touch Bionics to Ossur Hf.
A number of exciting fast growth companies throughout the UK have secured funding with our help and these include:
- Particle Analytics securing Seed funding from Mercia Growth Fund and Old College Capital;
- The Testing Cloud securing Seed funding from Mercia Growth Fund;
- OnGen securing Seed funding from private investors and SIB;
- Optoscribe securing Series A funding from Archangels, Par Equity and SIB;
- QikServe securing Series A funding from Par Equity and SIB;
- Living Lens securing Series A funding from private investors;
- CogBooks securing further Series A funding from SIB, DC Thomson and Nesta Impact Investments; and
- Eyejusters securing Series A funding from Participatiemaatschappij Madioen B.V. and the Christie Foundation.
We have also represented a number of investors on similar transactions and these include advising:
- Archangel on Series A and B funding rounds in Blackford Analysis, Administrate and NetThings; and
- ESM Investments on its Series A funding of Red Fox Media.
We have also been busy advising on a number of complex restructuring transactions. As you would expect many of these deals are generally not available to name. One of these transactions included the refinancing of one business which has saved over 500 jobs – something which we have been very proud to be involved with.
We have been advising the administrators of the Austin Reed Group; and a chain of bakeries in the Midlands in relation to a Creditors Voluntary Arrangement with their creditors.
We would also like to give a number of special mentions to a number of MBM’s fast growing clients:
- Agenor’s ICEFLO product has been given Gartner Cool Vendor Status in DevOps for 2016; and
- Holoxica and Sofant have respectively secured £1.28m and £1.54m of EU grant funding from Horizon 2020.
Commenting on the various deals, MBM’s Head of Corporate, Kenny Mumford said:
“The past six months have been exceptionally busy and it is pleasing to see such a large number of the firm’s high growth companies, working in a range of sectors, securing significant growth financing with our help. Several transactions have involved international investors or buyers and with an increasing number of transactions being channelled via our London office. The corporate team at MBM is growing to meet increasing demand and recognition within the market place that the firm has an unrivalled reputation throughout the UK for assisting high growth companies and entrepreneurial businesses.”