Scotland’s Food and Drink is a stand out sector within our economy. It has grown rapidly in recent years and is worth around £14 billion each year to Scotland’s economy. Competition within the sector remains fierce and we are fortunate to have businesses in Scotland who can thrive and export world-wide, notwithstanding the challenges in the global market place.
The Food and Drink industry is renowned for its innovative approach to development, branding, manufacturing and using high-quality raw materials. However, it is important that businesses are properly supported to have the best possible start in the industry to ensure that they can compete.
Here at MBM Commercial we have an award winning reputation for acting for investors, innovators and entrepreneurs and are delighted to be playing our part in providing solutions to help these businesses achieve their goals. MBM Commercial embrace the culture of developing new products and processes to drive growth.
In May, MBM Commercial hosted a Food and Drink conference at the Merchant’s Hall in Edinburgh. Several key themes within the industry were covered including technology, branding & marketing and investment for Food and Drinks businesses. Our stand out speakers included:
- Ian Stirling of Muckle Brig who, after spending many years working in the wine and spirits industry in London, has returned to Edinburgh to build a landmark new Scotch whisky distillery - Port of Leith Distillery. Ian told the story of this exciting project and their ambitions and plans for the future.
- Daniel Rodgers of QikServe - A serial entrepreneur, Daniel's product disrupts global hospitality: the ability to order and pay for food and drinks via any digital channel from your tablet or mobile. Daniel explained how technology is changing the face of how we eat and drink.
- Ryan O'Rorke and Assean Sheikh are the co-founders of Flavourly, the UK's leading craft beer and spirits discovery club. Flavourly help a 50,000 strong community of consumers to discover exceptional craft drinks through data, technology and partnering with the great craftsmen who make them. They gave an inside look into starting and scaling an e-commerce business.
- Richard O'Connor of Chocolate and Love - An entrepreneur, Richard and his fiancée created a specialist chocolate company in 2010 which sells delicious, award winning, fairtrade, organic chocolate. Richard shared the company's experience of trading with China, Chocolate and Love's biggest customer.
- Matt Chapman the founder of Contagious, a creative agency producing award winning work from studios in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Dealing with clients around the world with amazing brands in the Food and Drink sector, Matt shared his experience of what is needed to make brands stand out.
- Dennis Overton of New Wave Foods t/a Shore - Dennis has founded, built and sold several food and farming businesses in the UK and Africa and shared the fascinating story of Shore, Europe's first vertically integrated farming, processing and branding seaweed operation.
Following on from the success of this conference, MBM Commercial are hosting a 3 breakfast seminars on the theme of food and drink at our offices in Edinburgh:
Alan Mahon, Brewgooder: 20th September 2018
David Moore, Fusion Whisky: 4th October 2018
John Robertson, Drinkly: 11th October 2018
If you are interested in attending any of these seminars, invites are to be sent out in due course or please contact email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you there!
T: 0131 226 8222