What people say about us
“A strong reputation tor taking on cases for the little guy” (Legal 500 2016, Commercial Litigation)
“A lean team of highly adept litigators with a strong track record in bringing and defending claims against banks”(Chambers 2017, Banking Litigation, Band 3)
“MBM Commercial is the “go to firm” for individuals and SMEs bringing and defending claims against banks and other financial institutions…a “leading voice” in this space. Practice head Cat MacLean… has a “never-say-die attitude” and “really fights her clients’ corner””. (Legal 500 2017, Commercial Litigation)
“If anyone wants to fight the banks, MBM Commercial are the go-to firm….a pragmatic and sensible approach to banking disputes” (Chambers 2018, Banking Litigation, Band 2 )
“A force to be reckoned with particularly when bringing and defending claims against banks and other financial institutions on behalf of individual entrepreneurs and SMEs. Calm equanimity in the face of challenging, complex and often adversarial situations” (Legal 500 2018, Commercial Litigation Band 3)
“Particularly strong expertise in relation to allegations of breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and personal guarantees…They are genuinely committed to providing a high level of service and client support. The culture of the firm is inclusive and compassionate, and they take time to properly understand the issues and then deliver pragmatic, balanced and sensible legal advice." (Chambers 2019, Banking Litigation, Band 2)
Who we are
Our Dispute Resolution team was awarded Litigation Team of the Year in the Scottish Legal Awards 2016 and was shortlisted for the same award in 2017. The department was also shortlisted for Litigation Firm of the Year at the Law Awards of Scotland 2015, and Team of the Year at the UK Lawnet Awards 2015.
- Team head is Cat MacLean, a former advocate (barrister) with both English and Scots Law degrees. She is the only person to have twice won the prestigious Solicitor of the Year Award at the Law Awards of Scotland, in 2012 and again in 2015, and to have been shortlisted for the award on 3 occasions. She is ranked in Chambers for Banking Litigation, one of only 8 lawyers in Scotland to receive such accreditation, described by Chambers as “demonstrating strong interpersonal skills, commerciality and leadership”, and is singled out in the latest edition of the Legal 500 as “a force to be reckoned with”.
- Senior Associate Iain McDougall is described in the Legal 500 as “excellent” and “effective and pragmatic in settlement discussions” and “a safe pair of hands”.
- Senior Associate Lynne Arnott, is Head of Lender Services, also described in the Legal 500 as “excellent” and praised for her “reliability, consistency and delivery of what is promised”.
- Jamie Apted (Associate) is described by clients as a ‘determined litigator, who brings a pragmatic approach to negotiations’.
- Jennifer McNichol (Trainee), described by clients as “very good…hugely gifted”.
- Rebecca O Donnell (Paralegal), described by clients as “supportive, impressive and demonstrating exceptional professionalism”.
You can also read our latest dispute resolution blog posts here.
What we do
We are proud of the fact that our clients rate us for our high level of service and client support. We strive always to provide a personal, boutique service to our clients, who rate us for our “inclusive and compassionate culture”, and our balanced legal advice. The links below give further information on the things we specialise in;