We have a strong reputation advising clients on the acquisition and disposal of businesses. We love acting for clients from their initial investment through to a successful exit.
When an exit looks likely to go ahead, whether the sale was unsolicited or was the result of long-term planning, understanding the process should help founders and other selling shareholders to anticipate issues, protect value and manage expectations. The decisive factors in accepting any offer will vary. Other than the obvious issue of purchase price, the key issues often boil down to people and their own circumstances and aspirations. Having a clear picture of what an exit looks like to you, including your expectations as to price and other key terms, can be very beneficial at this stage. At the most basic level it will be important to ensure that there is adequate shareholder support for the proposed sale.
Whatever the complexity or size of the deal, you benefit from high-quality legal, commercial and strategic advice. We act on both high-profile, complex transactions to smaller, more straightforward deals, never losing sight of the fact that small deals can be life-changing for the individuals involved. We handle all aspects of M&A deals from start to finish including:
- Confidentiality and exclusivity
- Deal structuring (and pre-deal re-structuring)
- Negotiating Term Sheets
- Due diligence (including managing and advising on the use of online data rooms and technical reviews of patent and trademark portfolios)
- Advising on key deal terms such as:
- restrictive covenants
- price structures
- Drafting and negotiating all acquisition/sale agreements and any related ancillary documents
- Project management (including shareholder communications and distribution of sale proceeds)
- Hosting, managing and running completion of the deal (celebratory fizz included!)
Contact our Mergers & Acquisitions Solicitors in Edinburgh & London Today
If you are embarking on a sale process, our team will support you to navigate the process, mitigate the risks and drive the transaction to a successful conclusion. Please contact us on 0131 226 8200 or fill out our online contact form.