Start-up and spin-out activity is a central focus for MBM and a core tenet is to offer the same level of expertise and commitment to early stage ventures as we do to Series B funding and the creation of new venture capital funds
We consider it our duty to invest time in new clients to ensure that they become “investor ready” by providing advice that is:
- Solution-focused – We have a passion for supporting talent and helping you reach your full potential. We offer a guiding hand as an independent and trusted adviser to help ensure that, when faced with difficult choices and challenges, you take the right path and make the right decisions.
- Transparent with fixed-fee billing – We work with clarity and integrity, agreeing work scope and fees with our clients upfront so you can plan your budget and cashflow needs.
- Relationship-driven – We add value by connecting you and your business to new people and markets. Offering introductions and helping you to make the right connections is part of our DNA. With access to our extensive networks of potential investors, specialist advisers, funding bodies, potential new team members or commercial partners, you’ll have the support to grow your business.
- Full-service – By providing additional support such as HR, commercial property and trademark advice you can rely on our specialist sector knowledge and expertise. We work effectively and efficiently to make things happen in a way that suits our clients – pulling in supplementary resources as appropriate.
We are continually impressed with the level of understanding that even first-time entrepreneurs demonstrate, but never take anything for granted and work very hard to equip clients with the skills and knowledge needed when climbing the growth curve. We ensure that new client companies have:
- an understanding of equity share capital
- appropriate founder arrangements
- clear intellectual property ownership and licensing rights
- clear terms of appointment for all directors and employees
- proper protections in relation to minority shareholdings, including information rights, investor controls and share transfer provisions
- all basic corporate governance and company secretarial arrangements in place
As pre-eminent professional advisers in the early stage market, we have helped establish businesses in almost every conceivable sector with a specific focus on:
- life science
- clean tech
- food & beverages
Spin-outs from universities and other research institutes, together with corporate venturing investments and spin-outs from businesses, mean that start-up and spin-out activity remains as important as ever.
Not every start-up is going to become a unicorn, and we act for lots of great companies whose plans are not based solely around a 10x return for external investors. These include businesses with a clear route to profitability within a particular niche, as well as new family ventures and businesses with a social impact.
Some of the recent deals which the corporate team have been involved include:
|In4Derm from University of Dundee||Sofia Technologies|
|TenBio from University of Dundee||Qikserve|
|Platinum Informatics from University of Dundee||PD Neurotechnology|
|PlanSea from Robert Gordon University||
|Invizius from University of Edinburgh|
|Jiva Materials from Royal College of Art|