George PetoConsultant Solicitor Corporate Group
Tel 07766 543011
George completed his LLB and Diploma in Legal Practice at the University of Edinburgh and his traineeship at DLA Piper, qualifying as a solicitor in 2013.
Following this, he practiced as a private equity and corporate solicitor with Rooney Nimmo, where he was also a director. Prior to his legal career, he worked in investment management and economic consulting for large multi-national organisations.
While at Rooney Nimmo he had a broad-ranging practice in general commercial matters such as contracts as well as intellectual property and employment, however his most significant transactions were in the private equity and corporate finance spheres. He advised on a large number of investments with values of up to £10m, on behalf of individual investors and well-known investor syndicates and groups, as well as investee companies. He developed close working relationships with investee companies in particular, assisting them to complete their relevant investment deals, and providing any general commercial advice they may have required. Sector focuses included life sciences, healthcare and high growth tech companies from start-up to SME levels of turnover.
George joined MBM’s corporate team in 2018 as a consultant solicitor, where he continues to work on corporate and commercial matters inclusive of private equity, corporate finance and M&A transactions, working in the main with the London corporate team. He enjoys assisting high growth tech companies in particular, from their seed investment rounds right up to later Series A and B investments, along with contractual negotiations of increasing value and importance to the relevant company throughout their life cycle.
Outside of his work for MBM, George is a partner in his family farming business in the Scottish Borders, where they run a suckler herd of shorthorn cattle along with various diversifications to support the farming business, including an equestrian centre and treehouses for self-catering accommodation. George speaks fluent Dutch, German and French and is a Notary Public. He loves exploring and skiing the Highlands and Alps with his young family, along with regular visits to his Dutch in-laws in the seat of European law, The Hague.
- Advising a virtual pharmaceutical company on several investment rounds from various individual investors and investor groups, inclusive of a £2m round
- Advising a virtual pharmaceutical company on the acquisition of a cancer gene therapy company for £4.45m
- Acting for an investor group in relation to a number of private equity investments in early stage high growth companies in retail, healthcare and other technology-related sectors
- Acting for a large-scale fishing and trawling company in dispute with a fish processing and sales company
- Advising a life sciences company in relation to a complex dispute with a director and shareholder including defending a court action
- Acting for a site machinery manufacturer in relation to their asset sale to a competitor
- Advising a number of high growth companies on protection and registration of intellectual property rights
- Advising varied clients on implementation of share option schemes including EMI and unapproved schemes
- Regular advice to clients on SEIS and EIS taxation benefits and structures, and Entrepreneurs Relief