Laura PeacheySenior Associate
Tel 0131 226 8234
Laura completed her LLB and Diploma at the University of Edinburgh. She completed her traineeship at Lindsays and qualified as a Solicitor in 2010. Since then she has worked in private practice specialising in corporate and commercial law.
Whilst at Lindsays, Laura worked on a number of large transactions including the sale of a multi-national software company, the sale of a large agricultural business and the merger of the two leading Scottish charities. She also routinely advised Scottish Universities in connection with various IP licensing arrangements.
Laura joined MBM’s Corporate team in 2013 and since then she has regularly acted for both investors and investee companies in a wide variety of corporate finance transactions from seed investment up to Series A and B investment rounds, as well as venture capitals and complex, high value loan facility deals.
Her clients include entrepreneurs, investor groups and high growth companies within the technology and life sciences sectors.
Laura also takes a keen interest in crowd funding and has recently been involved with a number of crowd funding deals, including one particularly significant fundraising which involved in excess of 350 crowd investors.
As well as a variety of investment deals, Laura has been involved in a number of exit transactions involving MBM’s client companies, most recently the sale of a medical devices company to an international acquirer. She also recently advised a client company in connection with a Series B fundraising, which involved a joint venture licensing deal with a strategic partner in the APAC region as well as incorporation of an APAC trading subsidiary.
Most recently, Laura advised a client company in relation to the negotiation and completion of a high value commercial contract with a major international customer which was a key milestone in the scale up of the client's business.
Laura enjoys assisting entrepreneurs to get their businesses off the ground, helping them to translate good and unique ideas into credible business propositions, by providing advice in connection with incorporation, share structure, assignation of intellectual property and more generally, getting their companies “investor ready”.
She also assists client companies with matters arising in the day to day running of their businesses such as commercial contracts, shareholder agreements, corporate governance and setting up share option schemes to incentivise key individuals.
Although the majority of her time is spent working on corporate transactions, Laura remains an active member of MBM’s Commercial Contracts and Intellectual Property team, advising in relation to a wide range of contractual matters including IP protection and licensing, e-commerce and confidentiality.
Laura is MBM’s representative in relation to its sponsorship of Engage Invest Exploit (EiE), an annual investment conference organised by Informatics Ventures. This is a headline initiative for the firm, with 1000 attendees. Laura works with the organisation committee to host EiE and provides support and advice to participating companies seeking investment. Through her participation in EiE, Laura helps to raise the firm’s profile and has also been successful in extending her own network of clients and contacts.
In her work outside of the firm, Laura is committed to supporting entrepreneurs and early stage companies to get their businesses off the ground, raise investment and create new jobs. She has given presentations and workshops for entrepreneurs via Launch:ED at the University of Edinburgh, as well as EIE and has taken part in a number of pitching practice sessions, providing feedback to participants seeking to raise investment. Laura has also presented at events held by the firm for clients and contacts. Laura speaks fluent French and is a Notary Public. She enjoys running, hill climbing and holidays to explore new (and sunny!) places.
- Advising in connection with the sale of a medical devices company.
- Acting for a high growth technology company in connection with a transaction involving a Series B fundraising and a joint venture licensing deal in the APAC region between the company and it's lead investor.
- Acting for various investor clients in connection with a £2.5m investment in a biopharma company and a £2m investment in a micro-precision optics company.
- Acting for a fintech company in connection with an investment of £2.5m, including investment from venture capital funds and existing shareholders.
- Acting for the sellers in the acquisition of an early stage tech company which included part-payment of consideration in equity of the purchaser.
- Acting for Scottish Loan Fund in connection with the creation of a loan facility of up to £2m.
- Participated in a team dealing with a multi-million dollar investment by a Chinese trade investor.
- Acting for an investee company in relation to a significant investment raised via a leading crowd funding platform.
- Advising a crowd funder client in connection with various fundraises via their platform.
- Advising a number of start up companies participating in the Techstars London start up accelerator and incubator program in relation to equity and convertible loan note arrangements.
- Advising in connection with an equity investment in a data mining company, which included the initial investment made by investors in the Green Angel Investment Syndicate.
- Advising various clients in connection with implementing EMI and unapproved option schemes.