Sandy FinlaysonFounder Corporate
M 07740 958 386
Sandy has specialised in advising young high growth companies and their investors for over twenty five years.
His particular areas of interest are:-
- Corporate Finance: Over the years he has developed a particular interest in Corporate Finance. In 1992 he brought together the founders of Archangel Informal Investment and they have since gone on to become one of the biggest business angel syndicates in the world. Since then, he has been involved in numerous other initiatives to support the funding of high growth young companies including the formation of Seraphim Capital, the UK's first Business Angel led Enterprise Capital Fund. He has been involved in setting up five enterprise capital funds and a number of other early stage venture capital funds, some of which are based close to the famous "Silicon Roundabout".
- Startups and Spin-outs: He has helped to establish numerous start-ups and spin-outs, many of which have gone on to become successful award-winning companies;
- M&A: He has assisted many clients in pursuing successful "buy and build" and consolidation strategies, and has helped numerous clients to achieve successful exits;
- MBO/MBI: He has undertaken a substantial number of MBO/MBI transactions, acting both for management teams and for sellers;
- Corporate Governance: Advising boards and individual directors.
Sandy recently retired from chairing the Converge Challenge, which is the leading pan Scotland programme for University spinouts. He is currently the Board Observer for HIE on odxinnovations.com, which is an outstanding example of a University spinout, and a Director of grassmarket.org, which is a highly-successful and award-winning charity working with people suffering from deep social exclusion. He serves on the Advisory Board of CivTech.atlassian.net, which is an inspiring public/private collaboration to solve IT issues and is also a Director of the Scottish Tech Army which was established to provide IT support to numerous public and third sector organisations. It has already made a real impact since it was established only a couple of months ago. Sandy is also on the Advisory Boards of three technology start-ups and on the Investment Committee of one Business Angel Syndicate.
Sandy was delighted to receive the first ‘Local Hero’ Award at www.eie-invest.com in 2016, He was awarded an OBE for services to entrepreneurship and voluntary activities in 2017 and was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 2018.