DD 0131 226 8211
Stephen is an experienced lawyer working in the Corporate, IP and Commercial Contracts departments at MBM Commercial. Stephen began his career with MBM Commercial as the firm’s first ever trainee and has been a vital member of the team as the firm has grown over the years.
He has extensive experience of handling angel and venture capital investment across a range of sectors, acting for both investors and companies. Stephen’s sector experience includes software, retail, renewable projects, medical devices, environmental technology, education, manufacturing, engineering, video games, mobile technology, mobile apps amongst others.
He advised a video game and media company in relation to a complex equity investment of £500,000 involving multiple parties and the creation of a new corporate group structure. He also advised an angel investor syndicate in relation to a co-invested, multiple tranche equity and grant investment in a medical device company with a total deal value of in excess of £2.5m.
Stephen is a skilled project manager, often managing several sets of solicitors on a transaction. He is capable of bringing together all the strands of a transaction together for clients in an orderly and efficient manner.
Stephen also has experience in mergers and acquisitions, helping many clients either acquire or sell their businesses and has taken the lead on a number of M&A transactions. The sectors in which Stephen has been involved with M&A include pharmacies, nursery/day care, hospitality, transport, engineering and advertising amongst other sectors.
Stephen has also played a key role in various notable exits that MBM Commercial has been lead adviser on, including the sale of McKinnon and Clarke (now M&C Energy) to Lyceum Capital, the sale of City Information Services Limited to Norwegian group Viju and the sale of Fasteq Limited to Haas Group International.
As well as advising clients on equity investment and M&A work, Stephen also helps his clients on general corporate matters, such as directors duties, general corporate governance, share buybacks, corporate restructures, EMI option schemes and flowering share schemes. Stephen has a particular interest in share incentives, such as EMI share schemes and has written several blogs on this topic. He is also interested in areas where EMI share schemes might not be available and, in collaboration with tax advisers, has advised clients in finding novel ways of creating “flowering” or “growth” share structures as a means of rewarding certain individuals with shares in a tax efficient manner.
Stephen also has experience of intellectual property and commercial contracts working in MBM’s IP and commercial contract department. He has advised clients in a range of contractual matters including licences, distribution agreements, assignations, general services agreements and manufacturing agreements.
Stephen has earned a reputation for pragmatic thinking in all deals and matters he is involved with, which is one of the biggest things his clients appreciate. Stephen is also a Notary Public.
Stephen plays football and watches football and rugby live as much as he can. He plays guitar in a band as well as piano. He enjoys theatre, cinema, podcasts, music, reading and travelling and is MBM’s resident pub quiz enthusiast.
- Acting for the sellers in sale of Fasteq Ltd to Haas Group International – November 2012.
- Acting for company in the equity investment in Sensewhere Limited by a trade investor based in China – August 2015.
- Acting for Archangel Investors in the equity investment in Calcivis Ltd (total deal value £2.6m) – June 2015.
- Acting for Kelvin Capital investors in the equity investment in Ingenious Audio Limited (deal value £310K) – July 2015.
- Acting for Kelvin Capital investor in two rounds of equity investment in imetafilm Ltd (combined total deal value £615k) – January 2015 and May 2016.
- Acting for a video game and media company in an equity investment (deal value £500k) – February 2015.
- Acting for Celtic Renewables Ltd in relation to a Department for Transport Grant of £11m – September 2015.
- Acting for an online software and technology business in relation to a successful crowd-funding and asset purchase from US-owned vendor – February 2016
- Acting for an engineering company in an equity investment (deal value £1.5m) involving 4 separate investor groups – April 2016
- Acting for a manufacturing company in relation to a group restructuring and bank refinancing (transaction value £1.8m) – June 2016
- Acting for a software and data company in two equity investment rounds (total deal value £2m+) involving multiple investor groups – July 2016
- Acting for a group of private individuals in relation to an investment involving 3 investor groups (deal value £600k) in a medical device company – August 2016