Stuart HendrySenior Partner and Founder
DD 0131 226 8203 & 0203 096 0113
M 07921 687 167
Stuart is one of the founders of the firm and he became its Senior Partner on its tenth anniversary in 2015.
Previously whilst at MBM Commercial, Stuart headed up the firm’s corporate team and before that its intellectual property team. Prior to founding MBM Commercial in 2005, Stuart worked in the corporate and technology team at Murray Beith Murray WS between 1997 and 2005.
Stuart is still very actively involved with client work at MBM Commercial and is legal adviser to numerous investors, technology companies, entrepreneurs and business owners. Stuart regularly deals with a wide range of corporate, corporate finance and M&A deals and is often retained to help clients plan ahead for specific events, such as a major funding round or company sale. He is regularly involved in deals involving VC funds, mezzanine debt providers, overseas acquirers, trade investors, business angel syndicates and academic institutions.
The focus at MBM is to add real value and Stuart has helped initiate several deals, matched investors to client companies and helped companies complete their management teams.
Stuart is ranked in the independent Chambers UK Guide as a “Leader” in the field of Corporate / M&A:
“Stuart is outstanding – his depth of knowledge and experience in acting for young high growth businesses is extraordinary.”
"I go to him because I like to have the better informed and more diligent lawyer on my side of the table"
"Stuart is one of the best lawyers I've ever met. His work ethic is second to none – he's a strategic and technical adviser as well as a lawyer."
In 2011 Stuart was named the Corporate Lawyer of the Year in the Scottish Legal Awards, in recognition of his focus on deal-making and contribution to the technology sector.
He has a Masters Degree in Information Technology and Telecommunications Law and is a regular guest speaker at events and seminars on investments, deal-making and complex commercial contract issues. This has included running Investment Masterclasses for Scottish Enterprise and its cohort intakes of high growth companies as well as running external CPD seminars for third party lawyers on corporate deal-making and complex contract negotiation issues. During the Scottish Independence Referendum Stuart ran a series of events in conjunction with Edinburgh University to explore the impact of a ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ vote on entrepreneurial businesses. More recently Stuart organised and chaired the firm’s inaugural ‘Series B and Beyond’ investment conference in conjunction with Silicon Valley Bank in November 2015. This was a fantastic opportunity to showcase a lot of the exciting deals which Stuart and the firm have been involved with as part of an event which also ‘gives something back’ by not charging entrepreneurs or other attendees to participate.
Stuart divides his time between his Scottish and London client bases.
Stuart spends a lot of his personal time with his young family. He also tries to keep fit, reduce his golf handicap (without much success!) and improve his technique on the ski slopes. Talking about off-piste powder skiing gets him very excited!
- Acting for Sensewhere Ltd in relation to its Series B corporate venture equity fundraising from largest internet provider in Asia Pacific, Tencent (undisclosed deal value) – August 2015 (as well as all previous funding rounds for them and their spin-out from Edinburgh University);
- Acting for Archangel Investors in their Series B equity fundraising of Calcivis Limited (£4.5m deal value) – June 2015 (as well as several other deals for Archangel);
- Acting for Money Dashboard in their Series B equity fundraisings led by Calculus Capital and others (undisclosed deal value) – 2013 to 2016 (as well as all previous Seed and Series A funding rounds for them and the sale of their miiCard business division);
- Acting for sellers in sale of Sphinx Medical Limited to International acquirer (undisclosed deal value) – August 2015;
- Acting for Dawnfresh Group in sale of one its business divisions to Whitby (undisclosed deal value) – January 2016 (as well as previous acquisitions for them);
- Acting for sellers in sale of Fidelity Telecom Ltd and Think Grid Ltd to international acquirer, Colt Telecom (undisclosed deal value) – (as well as previous Series A funding for the company from Runa Capital) - 2012 – 2016;
- Acting for Calnex Solutions Ltd in the international acquisition of the IP product line of French technology company – (as well as all previous Series A and Series B funding rounds for them) – 2008 to 2015;
- Acting for Celtic Renewables in connection with its grant from UK Department for Transport (£11m deal value) – September 2015 (as well as all previous funding rounds for them and their spin-out from Edinburgh Napier University);
- Acting for Spaceright Europe in connection with its mezzanine debt acquisition funding transactions from Maven Capital Partners - 2014 & 2015;
- Acting for Maven Capital Partners in connection with its mezzanine debt funding to Interactive Design Institute (£2m deal value) - June 2015;
- Advising ShareIn Ltd in the creation of its crowdfunding platform set up and licensing arrangements and associated Series A funding ($1m deal value) from ESM Investments – 2014 & 2015;
- Advising Reminova Ltd with its £1m crowdfunding arrangements - 2015 to 2016;
- Advising Beinn Bhuidhe Energy Ltd in relation to all corporate and funding aspects of its wind turbine investments - 2014 to 2016;
- Advising Particle Analytics Ltd on its spin-out arrangements from Edinburgh University - February 2015;
- Acting for sellers in sale of SIAS Ltd to international acquirer (undisclosed dealvalue) - April 2016;
- Advising Horizon Proteins Ltd on its spin-out arrangements frorn Heriot-Watt University - April 2016.
Interview: Stuart Hendry on Dragons’ Den, MBM role Read more