Michael is a trusted adviser to entrepreneurs, family offices, early stage companies and PE/VC investors and funds.
He helps with raising investment, buying and selling businesses, group restructurings and with financial distress or insolvency.
He is also consulted by boards of directors for guidance on legal and general matters, particularly in relation to complex situations.
In addition, Michael is well known for advising investors on how best to realise non-performing assets, which include financial restructurings, turnaround finance and formal insolvencies.
During his career, Michael has worked for international law firms in London and has been involved in dozens of high profile transactions. His clients range from entrepreneurs and growth companies to financial institutions and PLCs.
Michael is ranked in Chambers for Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market - London and described as representing a broad client base, including companies and entrepreneurs, in their transactional activity. He offers ancillary expertise in insolvency and restructuring matters.
Clients describe him as "... absolutely fantastic. He really understood the matter and cared about finding a decision." and "... very available, calm and a pleasure to deal with."
Recent Legal Experience
- Acquisitions of a nationwide property services group and a law firm.
- Leveraged acquisition of portfolio of petrol stations.
- PE Exit from a precision engineering business to a Chinese buyer.
- Formation of a family office.
- EIS investment rounds acting for both companies and individual investors (on different transactions!) in the following sectors: online fashion, mining, tech (platforms and fintech), healthcare and e-commerce.
- Investment in a global financial services group on behalf of a high net worth investor.
- Sale of an online auction platform to a Swedish Buyer.
- Distressed acquisition of film and television intellectual property and licenses.
- Resolving a shareholder dispute and putting in place new regulated advisory firm for the ongoing business.
- Advising a director of a listed directory company as to his duties in the context of a restructuring.
- Restructuring / rationalisation of research arm of an international telecoms company.
- Debt restructurings for property developers acting for borrowers and lenders.
- Advice as to the formation and constitution of a financial services company.
- Acquisition of a publishing business.
- The sale of a multi-side restaurant business.
- Acting for a partner in a well-known law firm, which was in administration.
- Resolving a dispute relating to botanical intellectual property, using a provisional liquidation.
- A number of high-profile boards and individuals have sought his advice in relation to their legal duties as directors, generally and during restructuring and insolvency.
Michael enjoys reading, walking, running, golf, bee-keeping, and conservation.