Simon is a banking and finance lawyer who brings more than 25 years’ experience gained in all aspects of the capital raising process. He advises lenders and borrowers on traditional lending, structured finance, and real estate finance matters, and has particular expertise in dealing with offshore entities lending into the UK and on advising new entrants to the UK lending market.
Simon’s broad expertise includes asset and receivables financing, corporate lending to SMEs and larger corporates, real estate finance – investment and development, Investment funds, peer-to-peer lending structures, restructuring and green energy project financing.
He has worked on a variety of complex transactions including:
- Acting for Zoom Media in relation to refinancing its corporate borrowing arrangements.
- Acting for a Cayman based entity funding the acquisition of a central European wind farm
- Acting for Fiduciam on a number of Bridge loans to UK based developers and UK based property businesses
- Acting for District Estates in relation to the negotiation of a rolling and term credit facility of £30m to refinance its UK investment property portfolio.
- Acting for Clydesdale Bank on several large development facilities for UK real estate projects.
- Acting for the management team of a UK-based student housing business in relation to its sale to a large UK-based private equity fund. Also assisted the same entity in relation to the set-up of its first two funds.
- Acting for Cheyne Capital in relation to the set-up and ongoing advice of a new feeder fund for its Cayman- and Guernsey-based hedge funds in Luxembourg, which provide senior and mezzanine debt for UK-based property projects.
- Acting as lead counsel for a Kuwaiti-based financial services company which was launching a Jersey-based private investment fund of circa £250m to invest in UK trading businesses and real estate including managing the set-up of all entities.
- Acting for a Guernsey-based lender in the set-up of a new insurance captive in Guernsey, reinsured by a large US insurer which was to issue surety bonds to UK investors in construction projects.
- Acting for a Jersey-based microcap hedge fund (£100m) investing in North American microcap stocks, and providing ongoing advice following an initial instruction to restructure the fund for tax and regulatory reasons, to exit one of the members of the general partner and thereafter to allow new investment by a large North American investor.
Simon holds an LLB Hons from Bournemouth University and an LPC from the University of Law, Guildford College.